Oklahoma State University-Oklahoma City

HISTORY

Phi Theta Kappa traces its beginnings to a society that originated in 1910 with six charter members under the name of Kappa Phi Omicron at Stephens College in Columbia, MO. The society grew and by spring 1918 it was one of many honorary groups in Missouri. The name Phi Theta Kappa was selected after it was decided to organize a new honorary society, chapters of which would have a common character, stand and similarity of organization.

 

For the first six years, Phi Theta Kappa confined its activity to women’s junior colleges, but in 1924 through constitutional amendment, the field of activity was enlarged to cover all junior colleges. In 1926, Phi Theta Kappa expanded beyond the borders of Missouri and into coeducational institutions. The American Association of Community Colleges recognized Phi Theta Kappa as the official honor society for two-year colleges in 1929.

 

For more information, contact:

 

Luanne Kuelzer-Eckhout
Instructor Initial College Studies, LRC203
Phi Theta Kappa, Advisor
(405) 945-9102
kuelzer@osuokc.edu

 

Frank Strange
Instructor, EMS, PSTC114
Phi Theta Kappa, Advisor
(405) 945-9179
fstrang@osuokc.edu