What is Oklahoma Greenovation?
In October 2011, the Oklahoma Department of Commerce (ODOC) received a $5 million grant from the U.S. Department of Labor to implement an on-the-job training/placement program for the state’s construction, energy efficiency services, and related sectors. Day-to-day operations are carried out thru a consortium of sub-grantees (Oklahoma State University-Institute of Technology, Oklahoma State University-OKC, and Tulsa Community College.)
What does that mean?
Oklahoma Greenovation offers on-the-job training (OJT) opportunities statewide as well as LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) and other “green-centric” training (online and traditional) components. The OJT opportunities offered help Oklahomans enter the construction, energy efficiency services and related sectors beyond the unskilled, entry level stages of their careers.
What’s in it for me?
As a participant, Oklahoma Greenovation gives you the opportunity to gain a position that you may not have otherwise been eligible for due to lack of experience or training. OJTs allow you to gain that needed experience while working and getting paid! The application process for Oklahoma Greenovation is simple and you will have assistance and support during the application and training process as you need it. Once you are approved, you are ready to go to work!
Applicants should fit the following criteria:
- Be 18 years old or older;
- Be a U.S. citizen or legally able to work in the U.S.;
- Have a high school diploma or GED as well as some form of post-secondary education and/or related work experience; and,
- Registered with the Selective Service.
What do I do now?
If you think that the OK Greenovation program is a good fit for you or someone you know, please contact us and we will have a representative discuss how we can best work with you. For more information, please contact:
OSU-OKC students can also contact:
Construction Technology & Renewable/Sustainable Energy
900 N. Portland Avenue
Oklahoma City, OK 73107
And, if you’re an employer, Oklahoma Greenovation may be able to help you:
- Cut your training costs for potential employees;
- Reduce your risk and expense associated with new hires;
- Give you more value for your dollar per trainee;
- Provide you a pool of highly trained candidates; and,
- You may qualify for Work Opportunity Tax Credits.
Employers should fit the following criteria:
- No WARN notice filed or wage and hour violations in the last 12 months;
- Offer worker’s compensation coverage;
- Offer OJT employees equal wages, benefits and working conditions as regular employees doing similar work;
- Good track record with previous OJT placements (if applicable); and
- Must pay at least $14 an hour – Oklahoma Greenovation reimburses $7 an hour for up to a total of 300 hours.
If you think that the Oklahoma Greenovation program is a good fit for your organization, please contact our Statewide Coordinator Anna Gannan, firstname.lastname@example.org, 918-293-5053.
Oklahoma Greenovation is funded by a grant awarded by the U.S. Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration. The program is administered at the state level by the Oklahoma Department of Commerce.