Oklahoma State University-Oklahoma City

Who is my Academic Advisor?


Returning, degree-seeking students have a faculty advisor. Your faculty advisor name is listed on your degree sheet under “For More Information Contact”. If you are unsure or need more details contact Academic Advisement at (405) 945-9150.


What is the role of my Academic Advisor?


The Advisor’s primary role is to assist you in scheduling your classes each semester. He/She can help you answer questions about degree and course requirements, course selection, transfer credits, registration and graduation. Advisors are familiar with the many support services on campus and often act as a liaison between the student and other offices on campus.


Where can I find my Academic Advisor?


The Advisement Center is located on the first floor of the Student Center and is open to all students. Faculty advisor contact information, phone, email and building/room, is listed on your degree sheet.


How do I make a change in my class schedule?


Schedule changes may be processed during the open registration period. You will need to obtain an “Add/Drop Form”, available at the Advisement Center, and in your Academic Division. Forms should be completed prior to signing in to see an Advisor. Add/Drops may be processed at the Advisement Center or Academic Division. Another method to change your class schedule is by logging into the SIS Web for Students. The online drop option is only available up to the time classes begin. Please consult the Dates to Remember section of the Class Schedule booklet for Add/Drop dates.


How do I withdraw from a course?


Students who wish to drop a course after the Add/Drop deadline must complete an Add/Drop form with their Advisor. There is no refund for a withdrawal after the Add/Drop period. The student will receive a “W” grade on his/her transcript for a course withdrawal, which will not be calculated into his/her GPA. There is a deadline to complete a course withdrawal request. Please consult the Dates to Remember section of the Class Schedule booklet for the specific date.


Will I receive mid-term grades?


Mid-term grades are not reported at OSU-OKC. Students should consult with their instructor regarding course progress and grading.


How do I register for next semester?


Registration periods are as follows: fall and summer enrollment opens the first Monday after the scheduled spring break and spring enrollment opens the first Monday after the scheduled fall break. Class schedules are available across campus and online at www.osuokc.edu, generally two to three weeks prior to the registration period. Students should review class schedules for course selection prior to visiting with the Academic Advisor. Enrollment options are: SIS Web for Students; Telephone Enrollment; Advisement Center; Academic Division (for degree-seeking students). All first-time students must enroll at the Advisement Center.


How will I get my grades?


Students must check final grades earned via the SIS Web for Students. We cannot release grades to students or their parents over the telephone or by email.


What should I do if I think my grade is incorrect?


If you receive a grade that you feel is incorrect, you should contact the instructor to see if there was an error in calculating your grade. The instructor is the only person authorized to change your grade. If, after speaking with your instructor, you feel that you have received an unfair grade, you may obtain a Grade Appeal Form from the office of Academic Affairs (AD 200).


How do I make the Honor Roll?


Any student enrolled full-time (12 credit hours in fall or spring; 6 credit hours in summer) will be listed on the President’s List of Distinguished Students if the semester is completed with a 4.0 grade point average (all grades of A). Full-time students completing the semester with a 3.0 grade point average or higher and no grade lower than a “C” will be listed on the Vice-President’s List of Distinguished Students. Part-time students (enrolled in at least 6 credit hours in fall or spring; 3 credit hours in summer) will be listed on the President’s List of Distinguished Part-time Students if the semester is completed with at least a 3.50 grade point average and no grade lower than a “C”.


How do I compute my grade point average (GPA)?


Each grade is assigned a numerical equivalent as follows:


      A = 4; B = 3; C = 2; D = 1; F = 0


To calculate GPA, the grade’s numerical equivalent is multiplied by the number of credits a course is worth. This product represents “quality points”. The sum of quality points is divided by the sum of credits attempted yields the GPA.


      Credits x Grade = Quality Points
      Quality Points ÷ Credits = GPA


For example: You are enrolled 4 classes, totaling 12 credits. Grades earned are 2 A’s, 1 B and 1 C. By referring to the numerical equivalent listed above, calculate quality points earned as follows: (4x3) + (4x3) + (3x3) + (2x3) = 39 total quality points. GPA for the semester is 39 quality points divided by 12 credits: 39 ÷ 12 = 3.25 grade point average.


How do I stay in “Good Academic Standing”?


Good academic standing is achieved by meeting the university’s Retention Standards, which are set by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education. A minimum 2.0 cumulative retention/graduation GPA is required for Good Academic Standing. Students are placed on Academic Probation when the grade point average of the last semester attempted is less than 2.0 and the retention standard falls below 2.0. Academic Notice is given to those students with fewer than 30 collegiate credit hours attempted and a retention/graduation GPA between 1.70 and 2.0.


Should I take a CLEP (College Level Examination Program) exam?


If you are knowledgeable in a subject area (i.e. you took Advanced Placement or Honors Classes but did not earn college credit for them), you may wish to take a CLEP exam. A fee per test is charged. If you make the required score you will earn college credit. OSU-Oklahoma City awards credit for certain CLEP subject exams. Please contact the Office of Testing and Assessment at (405) 945-8648 for more information.


Whom should I call if I am going to miss classes?


Attendance policies may vary among instructors. Students should follow the guidelines set forth by instructors in the course syllabus.


What should I do if I need to withdraw from the Institution?


A student who has registered and attended classes and finds he/she is unable to complete the semester should file an Add/Drop form at the Advisement Center, checking the “Withdraw from all classes” option. Total withdrawals require signatures from both the financial aid office and the business services office. Please consult the Dates to Remember section of the Class Schedule booklet for last date to withdraw information.


When will I be classified a sophomore?


At OSU-OKC students who have earned 1 to 29 credit hours are classified as freshmen. Students who have earned 30 or more credit hours are classified as sophomores.